When setting up a site for your business, you will face a choice between a web application and a regular website. Both will allow you to create a site from which your customers will learn about the products or services you offer. However, the differences between the two will affect the features available to the user. So which solution is better to choose and how to create an application or website for your business?
Operation and advantages of web applications
Web applications are computer programs that are accessible from web browsers and allow the user to interact over the network. They run on a server that communicates with the recipient’s device using the HTTP protocol. Although at first glance they look very similar to regular web pages, they are distinguished from them by a much higher level of functionality. Not only do they perform an informational function, but they also allow the user to enter his own data and queries. Thus, they are widely used, for example, in e-commerce, enabling the creation of sales websites.
The key advantages of a web application (web application) include:
- Usability – there are many types of web applications that offer users a whole range of practical functions: from registering an account to making a reservation to placing an order.
- Personalization – applications can collect user data and then customize the type and display of content according to users’ needs and habits.
- Smart integrations – the app can be connected to a number of external systems, improving data exchange and further increasing the functional scope of the site.
Operation and advantages of websites
Websites may resemble applications in their design, but they are far less functional than them. Their interface has only an informational function, so the user’s interaction with the site is only one-sided. The recipient can see the text and graphics that make up the content of the site, but will not enter their own data. Such technology will work well for all companies that simply care about an announcement channel, used to notify customers about the way of operation and news from the life of the company.
Among the most important advantages of websites are:
- Speed of operation – loading pages is usually faster than applications.
- Ease of creation and operation – due to their very simple design, creating and operating pages are much easier than for applications.
- Limited hardware requirements – no specialized software or large hardware resources are required for proper operation of the pages.
For creating static websites, simple programming languages such as HTML and CSS are completely sufficient.
How to develop web applications for business?
The process of developing a web application for your company should include both a proper business analysis and the selection of the right tools. You can carry it out yourself or outsource it to an external contractor, such as an experienced software house. In order to build and launch a functional dynamic website, the ability to use CMS platforms such as WordPress, Joomla or Magento is essential.
When creating a business web application, follow the steps below:
- Needs analysis – at the outset, determine your business goals and the needs of the site’s future audience. This will allow you to select the target features and functions of the application.
- Project planning – based on your analysis, develop a plan, including technical requirements, budget and work schedule, among others.
- Interface design – when working on the look and functionality of the site, remember that its interface should be easy to use, visually consistent and attractive to users.
- Programming the application – having the interface design ready, you can proceed to program the application using the technologies and languages of your choice.
- Deployment and testing – when the application is ready, conduct the necessary tests and launch it. Remember to constantly verify the correctness of its operation.
- Monitoring – note that regular updates will be necessary for the proper operation of the site.
It is worth remembering that developing web applications for business is a relatively complicated process, requiring technical knowledge, experience, planning and organization skills. If you don’t feel up to doing it yourself, get help from specialists!